Teen dies three days after falling ill at music festival

Jack Downey from Clonmel who was hospitalised at CUH after taking a substance at Indiependence Music Festival and has since died. (Picture from Clonmel Og GAA Facebook Page)

A 19 year-old man has died, three days after falling ill at the Indiependence Festival in Mitchelstown.

Jack Downey from Clonmel, Co Tipperary lost his three day battle for life after reportedly digesting a substance at INDIE19 on Friday afternoon.

The first year student at Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) failed to regain consciousness after being admitted to CUH in a critical condition on Friday afternoon.

It is unclear what precise substance was involved but detectives believe it was either Ecstasy or MDMA.

A Garda investigation is now attempting to determine the precise source of the substance and whether it was contaminated or became toxic after its combination with alcohol.

The teen was brought to medical staff at the festival site by concerned friends shortly before 5pm on Friday evening.

He had complained of feeling unwell at the Deerpark site and was brought to medics by friends.

He was immediately treated on site before being rushed by ambulance to Cork University Hospital (CUH).

Unfortunately, his condition deteriorated and he was admitted to the intensive care unit at CUH in a critical condition. He was placed on a life support machine.

Since then, his heartbroken family have maintained a three day vigil by his CUH bedside. The teen never regained consciousness.

Clonmel Óg, the hurling and football club in which Jack Downey played for, posted the following on their Facebook page on Monday evening:

“Our worst fears were realised this afternoon with the news that Jack Downey passed away in the company of his parents. We are devastated and will have more to say in time. The mass this evening goes ahead and all are welcome. At a time like this we need to be strong and there for each other.”