An outspoken priest who campaigned for land reform in the 1880s was remembered at a commemoration held in the grounds of St. Nicholas’ Church, Castlelyons on Sunday last.
Fr Thomas Ferris was born in 1832. A native of Youghal, he was ordained in Fermoy in 1857.
He ministered in the parish of Ballyhooly/Castletownroche for 10 years before taking up positions in Kildorrery, Lisgoold, Rathcormac, Kilworth, Mitchelstown and Fermoy – he was appointed parish priest of Castlelyons in 1879.
Coverage in this week’s Print & Digital Edition