The Patrician Academy in Cork has been badly damaged by a fire, which broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Five units of the fire brigade from Charleville, Mallow and Kanturk battled the blaze through the night and it is believed that the extension, which was built in the 90’s was badly damaged.

Fair Street, where the boy’s school is located, remained closed until late morning on Wednesday and Gardai reported no injuries.

Deputy Sean Sherlock was a former student at the school and many young people from The Avondhu area, particularly Shanballymore, Killavullen and Castletowroche would be students there.

“Thankfully, no one was injured in this incident at the Patrician Academy.

“This is a shock for the town and the school community but it is one we will get over and move ahead on. Work has already begun on the next steps required with the Department and I have been in contact with the principal on this to work to ensure that in September there is adequate provision for students,” Deputy Sherlock told The Avondhu.

Deputy Pat Buckley has also expressed his shock and sadness at the damage that was caused overnight by the fire.

“Thankfully no one was injured and the fire did not spread beyond the school itself. This is a credit to local fire services who worked tirelessly to get the blaze under control.

“Fortunately the school year is over so we have time to make arrangements for students should the school not be refurbished in time. It is of the utmost importance that this fire is not allowed to disrupt further the lives and education of local people,” he said.

He added that he is now calling on the Minister for Education to take special steps to ensure that the students will be accommodated for in the coming school term.