August 18th-24th, 1916

The death took place suddenly near Cappoquin of Mr John Connors at an advanced age. The deceased was in town transacting business in his usual health but was found dead by the roadside in the afternoon. He was a native of Cluttabina, Cappoquin and was a farmer.

Fermoy Hibernians held their annual excursion and the venue this year (1916) was Tramore as the majority of the members had never before enjoyed a day’s diversion at the famous seaside resort. In addition to the large contingent from Fermoy, the several neighbouring branches of the A.O.H. helped to swell the attendance, so that when the train, which was specially chartered for the occasion, left Fermoy, it was filled to an unusual extent.

The transfer of the Rev. Charles Daly, C.C. from Lisgoold to Ballyhooly occasioned very sincere regret amongst the people of Lisgoold, Ballincurrig, Leamlara and Dunullerick, by whom he had been revered ever since his appointment to the curacy of that important parish, ten years previously. He was renowned for his love of GAA.

Field Marshal Lord French, Commander-in-Chief of the Home Forces, inspected the 77th Infantry Brigade consisting of numerous regiments at Fermoy. The battalions were drawn up in line and he arrived punctually at 12.15pm. The general salute was played, all battalions presented arms and the Union Jack was broken from the saluting point. He expressed himself highly pleased with the parade and the smart turnout of the troops, before departing to lunch at the Royal Hotel.

The Munster Junior Handball Championship was billed to take place in Fermoy on Sunday, 27th August at St Colman’s College court. Jack Conroy, Tralee would play Patrick Ryan, Fermoy. This would be followed by an interesting double-handed challenge where P.J. Tracey and D. Singleton (Kanturk) would play T. O’Brien and W. Cahill (Fermoy).

At the weekly meeting of Fermoy Union, Mr John Hanlon, Kilworth applied for a water supply for a small field of 15 acres. His application was granted.

P. Hickey, Lismore and T. Tobin, Tallow, both of the Royal Irish Regiment, were wounded in WW1. Meanwhile, the Walsh family remembered their dear brother Pat, late of Belmount, Cappoquin on the first anniversary of his death. He had died in New York on August 24th, 1915. His fond sister penned that his young heart was ‘stilled forever in an exile’s grave’.

In the King’s Bench Division, Mr Coughlan appeared on behalf of the defendant, Anthony Cunningham, ex-sergeant of the RIC, from Co Limerick, to have discharged an order made by Mr Justice Kenny in June, whereby the plaintiff, Patrick O’Neill, merchant, Mitchelstown was appointed receiver over his beneficiary interest in the defendant’s pension of £50 a year. It appeared that the plaintiff had obtained in 1913 from the County Court judge an order for payment by instalments due to a debt owed by the defendant. Cunningham argued that he could not pay, but the application was refused.