St Catherines team and panel that overcame the challenge of St Ita’s in the first round of the East Cork junior A hurling championship played in Youghal on Saturday evening last.


East Cork Oil sponsored junior A hurling championship first round

St Catherines 0-21 St Ita’s 1-11

A whirlwind start preceding second and third quarter dips before coming on strong again towards the finish, loosely describes Catherines eventful seven point victory over last season’s defeated finalists, St Ita’s in this divisional junior A hurling championship first round tie when played in dull and overcast conditions at Magner’s Hill in Youghal on Saturday evening last.

2013 All-Star wing forward Seamus Harnedy pointed the way with the game’s and Ita’s first score from a placed ball on fifty five seconds. But Catherine’s were irrepressible in the opening exchange.

Six unanswered points including a trio of Brian Mulcahy efforts, each one better than the other, was the return to just short of eight minutes. Sean Supple interrupted the sequence.

As normal service resumed a lengthy Shane Kearney delivery broke favourably for Rory Galvin to point, as the lead now extended to a six point margin standing at 0-08 to 0-02 to eleven minutes.

St Ita’s were growing into the contest especially around the middle of the field. Cathal Dean found the range. Aforementioned Harnedy with four including a trio of well taken points from open play, saw a lot of the good early work on behalf of the Saints now undone.

Still ahead at 0-11 to 0-8. But now heading into the half time break minus the services of named full back Shane Fitzgerald. Off because of injury and replaced by William Walsh after twenty two minutes.

When goalkeeper Padraig O’Brien’s long range free wasn’t dealt with ending up in the net, the margin had been trimmed to the minimum, one point. Score now at 0-12 to 1-08 to thirty seven minutes. But in fairness there was no panic on behalf of the Saints to the concession of the game’s only goal.

They duly rattled off five of the next six scores. Shane O’Brien accurate from the frees. The excellent Daniel Mangan finding the target from open play and when wing back Conor Hegarty pointed a beauty from around the halfway line, the score had stretched again to 0-18 to 1-10 in favour of the Saints close on fifty one minutes. They wouldn’t be caught from there.

St Ita’s scorers: S Harnedy (0-04 frees) (0-01 65’) (0-09), P O’Brien (1-00 free), S Supple and C Deane (0-01). 
St Catherines scorers: S O’Brien (0-07 frees) (0-08), D Mangan (0-06), B Mulcahy (0-04), R Galvin, M Mulcahy and C Hegarty (0-01 each).

St Catherine’s team: E Ahern, Stephen O’Brien, S Fitzgerald, E Kenneally, C Hegarty, Stephen O’Brien, S Fitzgerald, E Kenneally, C Hegarty, S Cotter, L O’Connor (capt.), S Kearney, E Condon, P O’Connor, B Mulcahy, D Mangan, R Galvin, S O’Brien, M Mulcahy. Subs: W Walsh for S Fitzgerald (22’); C Kearney for P O’Connor (37’) J Neville for R Galvin (55’). Referee: James Bermingham (Bride Rovers).


U14 C football league – Section one Round five

Fr O’Neill’s 3-06 St Catherines 3-08

Though nowhere near as comprehensive as the hurling match back in April, St Catherines  went on to complete the double when this U14 C football league match was played in windy conditions at Aghavine on Monday evening, June 13th last.

Although ahead at 2-05 to 1-03 to the break they would have to face into the swirling breeze on the turnover. In fairness the visitors were sticking to their task. Their cause further boosted with a delightful Gearoid O’Brien goal. Pushing it out to 3-06 to 1-05 to forty eight minutes.

Goals from Craig Motherway and Conor Greene meant Fr O’Neills were never far away. But late points from Harry Draper and Ciaran O’Brien would confirm a deserved but narrow two point win for the Saints.

Scorers: K Barry (1-00 45’) (0-04 frees) (2-04), G O’Brien (1-01), C England, H Draper and C O’Brien (0-01 each).

Team: B O’Connor, J Duncan, M Geary, F O’Connell, C O’Brien, S Cotter, G England, J McGuckian, K Barry, H Draper, J Hayes, G O’Brien, C England. Subs: C Dinneen and K Wallace for J Hayes and F O’Connell (second half), W McAuliffe for C England (55’). Also present was D Galvin. Referee John Kirby (Midleton).

U12 B football league – Section two Round four 

St Catherines 5-05 Aghada 1-04

St Catherines maintained their winning sequence with a victory over Aghada in this round four U12 B football league tie when played at Ballynoe on Wednesday evening, June 15th last.

Catherine’s were very much the better team at the start. But poor finishing yielding a tally of eleven first half wides allied to some excellent saves from visiting goalkeeper Fionn O’Callaghan to which Cian O’Shea goaled at the other end, meant the interval scoreline of 2-03 to 1-00 in favour of the home team, was anything but convincingly. Gearoid O’Brien and Denis Temple were the goalscorers.

In the twinkling of an eye this contest was over. Three goals, bang, bang, bang from Kyle Wallace, Ben O’Connor and Stephen Cotter in turn in a glorious ninety second spell midway through the second half, would see an unassailable advantage built up.

Scorers: D Temple and G O’Brien (1-02 each), B O’Connor (0-01 free) (1-01), K Wallace and S Cotter (1-00 each).

Team: A O’Donnell, S O’Donoghue, J O’Callaghan, J Pratt, F O’Connell, O Fitzgerald, N Sheehan, B O’Connor, S Cotter, G O’Brien, K Wallace, D Temple, C O’Donoghue. Also on panel: E Long, C Sheehan, C McAuliffe, J Mulcahy, C Feeney, W O’Driscoll, D Morrison and P Lucey. Referee: Ger Scully (Killeagh Ita’s).