Residents of Mitchelstown and Ballyhooly are being advised that drinking water in the area is safe to consume.

According to recent reports, a microscopic parasite that can cause respiratory and gastrointestinal illness has been detected in the drinking water supplies in Ballyhooly and Mitchelstown in Cork.

Earlier in the summer, there was a discovery of cryptosporidium in the water supply and subsequent tests were then carried out on the water by the Environmental Regulator.

The issue was recorded in August and September of this year but samples taken since have been clear.

Testing and monitoring of the supply is expected to continue over the coming months.

More in next week’s edition of The Avondhu