The stars did not disappoint at the highly anticipated 88th Academy Awards. Hollywood saved the most glamorous, decadent hairstyles for last.
On the elite red carpet, we saw Glam Ponies, Classic Old Hollywood Waves, and Sculptural Up do’s paired with Series Twists and Bohemian Braids. Make Up was fresh with pops of colour; we saw raspberry, cranberry and peach lips and cheeks, perfect inspiration for the coming spring
Some of Ireland’s top hairstylists Roy Kennedy, Black Amber, Templeogue & Jessie and Emily from The Edge Hair Design, Cork have put together simple step by step guides on how to achieve Olivia Wilde’s Beautiful Braids, Chrissy Teigen’s Braided Ponytail and Kate Winslet’s Effortless Waves- no glam squad required!
Olivia Wilde’s Beautiful Braids
– A Step by Step Guide by Black Ambers Roy Kennedy
- Shampoo hair with Redken Body Full Shampoo
- Apply Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam into the root area to create volume & prevent flyaway hairs. This product has medium control while keeping a natural feel and texture.
- Apply a small amount of Redken Hot Sets 22 Thermal Setting Mist – a heat protector to the ends & blow dry hair into a side parting.
- Using a thermal setting spray such as Redken Iron Shape 11 Finishing Thermal Spray. Go through the hair section by section & create a soft wave to the ends with a hot styling tool such as L’Oréal Professional’s Steampod, curling tongs. This will keep the hair pliable and easy to style
- Taking three small sections at the front of the hair, criss-cross each section to create a soft braid.
- As you’re crossing the sections add an extra bit of hair into your braid from the sides so all hair is in the braid. Secure with elastic and repeat on the other side.
- When both sides are done loosely twist each braid around each other to create a soft bun at the back
- Secure the bun using clips and pins. Making sure the elastic is well hidden inside the bun. Spray the hair with a normal to strong hold hair spray, Redken Quick Dry Instant Finishing Spray to hold the style & prevent any flyaway hairs. Finally add a light mist of shine spray all over.
Kate Winslet’s Effortless Waves
– A Step by Step Guide by Jessie Corkery & Emily O’Callaghan The Edge Hair Design, Cork
- On pre shampooed towel dried hair apply L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Pli Shaper to roots and working away through mid-lengths and ends. This adds shape memory, grip and hold.
- Blast dry to create natural texture in the hair.
- Wand the hair using a medium sized wand such as the GHD curve.
- When the whole head is finished allow to cool down before running your hands through the hair to break up the hair.
- Part hair into side parting.
- Apply L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Fix Design to move to the smaller side to sleek behind the ear (if necessary you can place a hair grip to secure hair). This adds extra strong fixing and a natural looking shine.
- Then apply L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Beach Waves Texturizing Salt Spray to the rest of the hair whilst moving the hair with hands to break up waves and get a more beachy textured effect.
Chrissy Teigen’s Braided Ponytail
– A Step by Step Guide by Jessie corkery & Emily O’Callaghan The Edge Hair Design, Cork
- Prep pre shampooed towel dry hair with L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Pli Shaper and blast dry to create natural texture.
- Apply the L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Wild Stylers Next Day Hair throughout the lengths of the hair for a soft, voluminous texture.
- Next, take the hair at the crown and pin it away. Take two one-inch sections on both sides of the ears and braid all the way down, while using the fingertips to rub the hair and create texture.
- Release the hair at the crown and begin to braid down the middle and combined the 5 braids in one hand and secure with elastic. Using a handful of bobby pins, secure braids for extra hold.
- Take the lengths of the hair and create a larger braid and secure with elastic, leaving out the ends at the bottom.
- To complete the look, pull out loose pieces around the face for beautiful, airy volume. Rub the braids with fingertips to create a soft texture and spray the finished look with L’Oréal Professional’s Tecni.ART Fix Design, for a hold that lasts all night but isn’t stiff or crunchy.