DECEMBER 15th – 21st, 1916
The bi-monthly Executive Committee meeting of the Cork Industrial Development Association took place. A Castletownroche correspondent drew the Association’s notice to the existence of a well-built woollen mill, with up-to-date combing and spinning machinery, now idle in that district. The correspondent also mentioned that a deposit of iron ore lay undeveloped in the locality and suggested that a sample should be procured and a careful survey made of same, in view of the coming industrial developments in the south of Ireland. The committee were interested and empowered the secretary to investigate the matter and to report to a subsequent meeting.
It was confirmed that Private T. A. Burgess, youngest son of Mr C. and Mrs Burgess of Abbey Street, Fermoy, late 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles, was killed while reconnoitring the enemy position in October 1915. He was 21 years of age. He volunteered for service in Canada and arrived in France with his regiment.
Following an election in West Cork, the Divisions of the A.O.H. in North-East Cork, at a conference unanimously adopted the following resolution, which was forwarded to Mr O’Leary, MP in London:- Proposed by Mitchelstown Division, seconded by Rathcormac Division and resolved:- “That we the representatives of the Divisions of the A.O.H. from Kilworth, Glanworth, Conna, Castlelyons, Ballyhooly and Fermoy, desire to congratulate Mr Daniel O’Leary and the electors of West Cork on their noble and successful efforts by which they returned their parliamentary division to the cause of unity and by routing from their midst the demon of faction and dissension, which had done such tremendous harm to the cause of Irish Nationality.”
The ladies and gentlemen of the Mitchelstown Distress Committee had much reason to congratulate themselves on the generous response to their efforts for the relief of the deserving poor of the district. The ladies’ committee with Miss Webbs as President worked wonders and had the full support of the people behind them. The gentlemen’s’ committee was there for the only purpose of helping and endorsing the efforts of the ladies and any comment on the assimilated efforts was to be judged in reference to self-interests and uncharitable prejudice. Happily these comments were apparently few and ignored by the committee. The fund at this juncture was rapidly approaching £200.
The initial terrier coursing meeting was held in Glanworth, described as the home of national coursing, where a most popular meeting was held annually. The committee were congratulated on the very successful way it was carried out. William Barry was in charge of judging.
The committee of Fermoy Old Age Pensions, Rev. J. O’Donoghue, chairman, presiding considered a large number of claims for pensions and in the majority of cases the full amounts were allowed. One case was disallowed, as the claimant was not of age and in two others the pension officer refused to allow, as satisfactory proof of age was not forthcoming. The extra half crown was granted to all claimants.
DECEMBER 22nd – 28th, 1916
Corporal Daniel Synnott of the 7th Leinster Regiment was awarded the Military Medal and a certificate on parchment signed and presented by Major General Hickie, Commanding 16th Irish Brigade, on account of his gallant conduct and devotion to duty during the big push on 3rd September. Synnott lived at Grattan Terrace, Fermoy and did his training at Kilworth Camp previous to going to France with the brigade. Before his enlistment, he was a town postman and was a prominent member of the National Volunteers.
Men from County Cork arrested after the troubles of Easter Week and confined in internment camps in England, but who were released a week ago, arrived in Cork. They were met by relatives and friends at the Glanmire terminus and proceeded to their respective homes. Amongst the released prisoners were Seamus Hannigan, Mitchelstown and Martin Kinery, Fermoy.
Amidst many and striking expressions of deep and sincere regret, the remains of Rev. John O’Leary, P.P. Watergrasshill, were laid to rest in the grounds attached to the church in which he had administered for many years. He had been appointed to the Pastorship of Watergrasshill in 1891.
The members of Carrigee (Cappoquin) Coursing Club held their meeting on St Stephen’s Day at Shanbally, on the height overlooking the town. The weather was excellent and the ground was sufficiently soft for coursing. The committee were rather unfortunate with the hares on this occasion and owing to the shortage, the stakes had to be divided.
Meanwhile, encouraged by the success which had always attended their club meetings, the committee of Castletownroche Coursing Club saw no reason why they should not go a step further and hold their reunion under the rules of the I.C.C. (Irish Coursing Club) and the large and representative gathering which had assembled in the spacious field kindly placed at their disposal by Mr A. F. Coughlan, showed that their decision was perfectly justified and thoroughly appreciated. The sport provided was excellent and the hares with a few exceptions gave splendid trials. The judging and slipping in the hands of Messrs Hayes and Norton respectively gave general satisfaction.
In Fermoy, the annual Triduum (three-day period of prayer, usually in preparation for an important feast) connected with the Men’s Confraternity was opened by Rev. Father Augustine, of the Capuchin Order, Cork and the large attendance on the occasion portended an abnormal success. In addition to the members of the Confraternity who mustered in full strength, a great number of the other men of the town and parish of Fermoy were in evidence, and this auspicious opening of the Triduum gladdened the hearts of Father Augustine and Father Casey, C.C., the esteemed and energetic spiritual director of the Confraternity.
Mr John Barrett presided over a meeting of Mallow Union, which granted Dr Sheahan, medical officer, Doneraile, a further extension of sick leave on a certificate from Dr Cremin, Cork.