November 10th-16th 1916

The body of Maurice Phelan was found suspended from the branch of a tree by the bank of the River Blackwater at Carrigane, three miles from the village of Ballyduff Upper.

He had been missing since October 17th having been presumed drowned after an accident while watering his horse at the slip in the West Quay, Fermoy. The coroner was communicated with but an inquest was not deemed necessary.

Among the successful students at the recent examination for the G.S.W.R. (Glasgow and South Western Railway) Clerkships was the name of Mr John B. O’Regan, son of Mrs O’Regan of Deerpark, Lismore, formerly of Ballyduff Railway Station. He was educated at the Christian Brothers’ Schools, Fermoy and Lismore.

A collection of the Red Cross Association was made in the Castletownroche district which realised the sum of £20 18s 10d. Mr Joseph Moylan, national teacher, Glenroe, was arrested under, it was stated, the Military Service Act.

At Cappoquin Sessions, Wm Power was summoned for a breach of the Lights on Vehicles Act, and also for the larceny of a lamp valued at 7s 6d from Michael Cahill, and the property of the British Petroleum Company. Accused said he didn’t take the lamp to keep it, but that he would plead guilty. The magistrates took his good character into account and so decided against any punishment and dismissed the charge. Power was however fined 2s for not having a light and ordered to pay the costs in both cases.

Sisters Mary-Crissie and Kathleen Morrisroe from Clogheen were congratulated on their academic success. Mary-Crissie passed with high distinction the higher local musical examination conducted by the Trinity College of Music, London. While Kathleen, made a very credible score at the last Intermediate Examination in the Junior Grade. She passed no fewer than eight subjects.

At Fermoy Quarter Sessions, there was an application on behalf of William Murphy, a chemist at Mitchelstown, to recover £12 damages for the alleged malicious injury to a plate glass window in his shop at Lower Cork Street, Mitchelstown on September 29th. Mr W.E. O’Brien, solr., appeared for the applicant; Mr J.G. Skinner, solr., appeared for Mitchelstown No. 1 Rural Council, the respondent. The evidence was heard and went to show that the glass was maliciously broken by a man named James Mooney, of Mitchelstown; that he was convicted of the offence and at the present was undergoing a term of imprisonment for the offence. A decree for £5 9s, with costs and 10s expenses to be levied off the No. 1 Electoral Division of Mitchelstown, was the ruling.

An inquest was held into the circumstances surrounding the death of Lieutenant-Colonel F.E. MacCartie, Carrignavar, late of the Indian Medical Service, who was found dead in his bed. The coroner ruled that the cause of death was a very bad form of heart disease. The verdict of the jury concurred.