January 5th-11th 1917

The death of Mrs Mary Kent, which occurred at her residence, Bawnard House, Castlelyons caused feelings of deep sympathy and regret throughout a wide circle. She had reached a good old age, but her health had gone downhill in recent months following the death of her sons Thomas and Richard and the imprisonment of David.

The Rev. Aylmer C. Martin, M.A., (late rector of Kanturk) was duly installed as Rector of Mitchelstown in succession to the Rev, Canon Courtnay Moore, M.A., retired.

Mrs Walsh, the popular Mitchelstown dispensary nurse, had a narrow escape from serious injury. She was proceeding in the early morning to attend a case in Kilbehenny when her conveyance, a donkey and car, was suddenly run into by a motor car, resulting in severe shock and slight injuries to Mrs Walsh. The occupants of the motor car were uninjured and conveyed her back to Mitchelstown from hence another nurse was dispatched in her place.

A very sad discovery was made by the local insurance agent when doing his rounds in Castletownroche. Two old age pensioners, Joan and Bessie Sheehan, sisters, were found dead in their house in Church Lane. The police promptly visited the scene and discovered one of the old women lying dead on a chair and the other dead in bed. As they were not in the habit of being out very much, they were not missed by neighbours in the locality. An inquest was not deemed necessary.

The announcement that Rev. Maurice O'Connell, army Chaplin, was awarded the Distinguished Service Order was received by the people of Fermoy with feelings of great satisfaction. Fr. O'Connell was stationed in Fermoy for several years during which he acted as curate.

The injured man, Michael Coffey, whose brother Edward lost his life as the result of the affray near Kilbehenny, was progressing favourably and there was every reason to believe that he would recover from his injuries. He was under the care of Dr T. O'Brien, Mitchelstown.

At Kilfinane Sessions, Mrs Nora Hennessy summoned Owen Howard for malicious damage to windows and doors of her dwelling house. She had a further complaint against him for using abusive and threatening language. Her husband had a summons against Howard for assault. Mr J. G. Skinner, solr., Mitchelstown appeared for the Hennessys and Mr R. Fox, solr., Kilmallock for Howard. After hearing the evidence, the chairman said the magistrates had come to the conclusion that if Howard had been allowed to take his drink and go quietly there would have been no further trouble, but when he went out he had a right to go home quietly. They awarded 25s compensation for the glass. The other cases were dismissed.

Mr John Ormond was appointed clerk to the Lismore Town Commissioners at their meeting. He defeated five other candidates for the position by receiving five votes from the eight members of the Town Commissioners in attendance.