What was on The Avondhu news radar 21 years ago?

A rehabilitated bird of prey was released in Crosshaven, thanks to the efforts of the Kilworth Falcon Centre; Kilcorro United and Ballindangan FC drew 2-2 in a league encounter; the 'Glanworth twins' were a cause for concern - news from January 1995.

Minister for the Marine and Defence, Hugh Coveney TD being introduced to the peregrine falcon which was nursed back to health by Mark Cashley (left) of Kilworth Falcon Centre, while Leo Spillane, falconer looks on. The bird was released back into the wild in January 1995 by the minister at Fort Camden in Crosshaven.

The weather forecast didn’t appear too much brighter in January 1995. Storm force winds caused ‘havoc’ in many areas of North Cork and South Limerick. Glanworth suffered a complete electricity blackout, while Doneraile experienced ‘flooded roads’. Just south of Watergrasshill on the main Cork-Dublin road, a tree fall caused minor traffic disruptions, with Rathcormac seeing a number of motor accidents. The outlook from the Met Office – snow and ice!

The development of an ultra modern caravan and camping park for tourism purposes was being considered for the Clondulane area. The man behind the proposal was Fermoy’s Christy Ring, a man who had experience of caravan and mobile home sales. The location was thought suitable, being located close to the Rosslare/Killarney route. It was planned to have a minimum of 10 fully serviced mobile homes on the 2 acre site. Cork Kerry Tourism described the proposal as ‘a significant addition to tourism facilities in the area’.


Minister for Defence and the Marine, Hugh Coveney TD, released back to the wild a peregrine falcon, nursed back to full health by the falconry centre in Kilworth. Discovered at a dump in Cork city with an injured wing, the falcon, following its rehabilitation, was ringed and released at Crosshaven Yacht Club. Present from the Kilworth facility was Mark Cashley.

There was much hype in Fermoy, regarding the imminent opening of the new leisure centre. A progress report at the town’s UDC meeting by town clerk, Michael Cremin, announced that the building had just been handed over to the council from the builder. However, there was criticism from some quarters, with Councillors Murphy, Pyne and O’Leary in particular disappointed that information on the facility had not already been made available, regarding opening times, pricing, etc. They felt the board of management had left it too late to meet to decide on such matters.

Anger and dismay in one North Cork village, with the ‘Glanworth twins’ a cause for concern. Deputy Ned O’Keeffe, following representation from several village locals, highlighted the need for immediate action by both the ESB and the council to rectify a dangerous pole, situated directly in front of the local church. The pole in question in fact consisted of 2 poles side by side.

The weaker, older pole, which was ‘completely rotten’, was bound together with rope, as a crack had developed its entire length. This weaker pole carried the main lines for the village. The new pole positioned for support, had been bolted to the old pole. Deputy O’Keeffe described the situation as ‘stupid’, not only due to the safety element involved, but also the fact that it was positioned ‘right in the centre of the car park with no protection from passing vehicles’. Locals described it to The Avondhu’s reporter as a ‘botch job’ and ‘Mickey Mouse’.

In brief – There was a new appointee at Fitzgerald Camp, Fermoy, when Commandant Niall Cremen, Corrin View took command at the Camp from Commandant Niall Daly – he told The Avondhu that he was ‘thrilled’ to take charge of the First Cavalry, as they were ‘simply the best’. County Sound 103FM celebrated 5 years on the air in January 1995, with their ‘birthday patrol’ visiting various Centra outlets in the area, including David Ryan’s, Fermoy; John & Margaret Ryan’s, Mitchelstown and Tony O’Flynn’s, Kilworth.

A reported ‘magnificent performance’ by Kilcorro United saw them overcome the challenge of Ballindangan United at home, on a 2-0 scoreline. A ‘physical game’ saw Ballindangan create some good opportunities, however they were left frustrated by their finishing. 0-0 at half-time.

The second half started at a ‘frantic pace’ and Kilcorro ‘rattled’ their opponents – an accidental clash of heads then saw a player from each side requiring stitches and shortly after, the home side took the lead with Tom Tattan driving home a penalty. The game was secured in injury time with Barry Kiely sealing a 2-0 victory.

Ballindangan United: M Cassidy, M Dawson, B Seymour, D Dawson, K Baker, J Thornton, C Leonard, J Condon, T Dawson, I Walsh, D Walsh. Subs used: M Baker and D Finn.

Kilcorro United: Browne, Wiley, Nolan, Casey, O’Connor, Sheedy, Reidy, Lynch, Tattan, Wiley, Kiely. Subs: Coleman, Brett.