Over 14,000 taxis are licenced in Ireland, of which 42% are seven years or older. Thanks to the Government’s recently announced €15 million scrappage scheme for Small Public Service Vehicles (SPSV) and the SEAI’s electric car grants, taxi drivers can now apply to switch to an electric vehicle and claim up to €25,000 in grant aid.
The recently launched Electric SPSV (Small Public Service Vehicles) Grant Scheme enables taxi drivers to scrap older and higher mileage diesel or petrol taxis and switch to electric with many incentives to aid the switch.
With a high percentage of taxi journeys in Ireland single occupancy journeys, Renault ZOE 100% Electric is the ideal solution as it charges fast at all public charging stations. DC fast charging stations (50 kW) provide ZOE with up to 150 km of driving range in just 30 minutes.
Better still for taxi drivers, the 22kW AC chargers found in most urban locations charge ZOE at more than double the speed of its competitors, adding 83km of range in just 30 minutes.
Renault ZOE, already being driven as a taxi in many European cities, has been approved as a fully eligible EV model under the NTA list of approved vehicles in Ireland. Therefore, taxi drivers choosing a Renault ZOE are entitled to Government grants including:
- SPSV Scrappage Grant up to €20,000 OR standard SPSV grant up to €10,000
The SPSV grant is applicable to both new vehicles plus used vehicles up to four years old and is tiered based on the age of the vehicle, full details available at https://www.nationaltransport.ie/
- Private taxi drivers can avail of an additional SEAI grant of €5,000
Renault, in conjunction with Renault Bank, have launched a specific offer for taxi owners which enables the purchase of a new Renault ZOE Iconic Rapid Charge model at just €45 per week.
This HP package includes:
- €20,000 SPSV grant plus the €5,000 SEAI grant
- Home charger installed
- Key insurance
The My Renault app which taxi drivers can download to their smartphones, allows them to check charging status while they are away from the car and preheat/defrost the car remotely while plugged in to maximise range.
Switching to electric has many additional benefits to taxi drivers including:
- VRT relief up to €5,000
- Domestic Charger Scheme up to €600
- Annual toll refunds up to €1,000
- Significant fuel savings: -66% vs a diesel equivalent
- Lower maintenance costs associated with electric models
- Accelerated Capital Allowance: allows a sole trader or company that pays corporation tax in Ireland to deduct the full cost of the equipment from their profits in the year of purchase
- Plus, societal benefits: reduced air pollution + lower CO2 emissions + reduction of noise pollution
With Renault ZOE there is a 5 year, 200,000km vehicle warranty and Key Insurance for unfortunate mishaps when lost, stolen or broken.
For further information on the Electric SPSV Grant Scheme www.nationaltransport.ie/launch-of-electric-spsv-grant-scheme-2021/
For further information on the switch to Renault ZOE www.renault.ie/evtaxi
For further information on SEAI grants, see www.seai.ie