Our U8 Lions and Tigers travelled to Tallow last Saturday in the latest round of the WW/EC non-competitive league. The match format is 5-a-side with 4x12min quarters.

Both games were high scoring affairs with plenty goal mouth action, some great performances and everyone on both squads getting plenty game time. Our Lions came out on top in a 9-8 thriller v Castlebridge Celtic and our Tigers went under 8-5 v Lismore after a great comeback, having been 6-1 down.

Thanks to put coaches in the day Steve, Rory, Chris and Pa and all the parents who made the trip.


Lions: D Collins, S. Riordan, D.Cooney, A Cooney, R Pierce, D Pierce, C Crowley, R Kearney. Tigers – J Cotter, D Kellaway,  E Gowen, K Ball, P Jordan, O Dillon, P Hurley, S Delea, C O’Shea.

Training continues for U6 and U8 groups every Saturday morning 11-12 noon in the parish field.


Celtic U16s travelled to Tipperary District League opponents Cleherin FC on Saturday last to contest the Tipp/WWEC Cup 1st round and what a game the spectators were treated to. Celtic were cautious going into this one with the home side displaying a team of big strong athletic players and prior to kick-off the tactic was to play five across the middle and get a feeling for the home side’s strength, with the emphasis on keeping it tight for the first 10-15 mins of the half.

Well this plan went out the window after 60 seconds when the Cleherin attacker found acres of space in the box to turn and beat Jamie Wheeler with a powerful strike. Celtic to their credit responded well and found themselves level five minutes later when Johnny Tobin Allen’s powerful run was illegally halted by the home defender, with Johnny finishing expertly from the spot.

Game on, but Celtic went through a 20min period after this that effectively sealed their faith with time and space being afforded to the home side, allowing them ample time to pick passes at will.

Inside 30 mins we found ourselves 4-1 down with Jamie Wheeler in goal having no chance as the Cleherin side rampaged forward with little or no resistance from Celtic.

A number of changes were needed and with Mikey Gowen reverting to centre back and Jack Casey moving to central midfield, Celtic gradually began to get to grips with the home side’s quick movement.

Oisin McSweeney also entering the fray to add more pace to the Celtic attack and when Dean Jordan slotted into midfield and PJ Aherne into right back, Celtic started to dominate possession.

Celtic reached half-time 4-1 behind, but some words of wisdom from the coaching staff asking for composure and attitude with the directive to go and win the second half the objective.

The boys truly did this with a storming second half performance. Power, pace, attitude, pressure all to the fore with Pa Coughlan, Mikey Gowen, Johnny Tobin Allen and Dean Jordan setting the tempo for the rest.

Brian Casey was starting to win simple yet effective ball on the right and with Oisin, Leo and Johnny’s pace Cleherin were dropping deeper as the game wore on. Pressure finally paid off when Tobin Allen bullied his marker to pull one back with 25 mins remaining.

Other changes in the half saw Jamie Slattery introduced and Jamie worked tirelessly up front as he hassled and harried the home defence into mistakes.

Killian Heggtveit also taking over from Wheeler in goal with the coaching staff anxious to get a look at both players in a different role.

Celtic were right back in the game with 6 mins remaining when a superbly worked move down the right saw Johnny cross for Oisin McSweeney to finish at the back post.

Celtic powered on but couldn’t find the equaliser their play so richly deserved. Final score 4-3 to the home side.

A super game of football by both sides and Celtic surely showed what they are capable of in the second half and if they can reproduce this type of performance for the remainder of the season then it should be a largely positive second half to the season.

Great to see Adam McCarthy having the last say on the day when finishing from the spot to send the boys into wild celebrations. Well done Adam and well done to all the lads who make Adam part of the team – a super gesture by everyone and what the game at every level should be focused on. Well done boys – ye were a credit to the club and the league on the day.

Lismore 0 Kilworth Celtic 2

Kilworth Celtic U12 Tigers travelled to Lismore on Saturday morning, 21st January for a tricky away trip and came away with a comprehensive win.

On a brisk morning in Lismore, the Tigers took the game to Lismore from the off as we were mindful that this would be tight game. We scored 2 minutes into the game when a great run down the left by Liam Og followed by a superb cross, was finished to the net by Patrick.

A great move and super finish to set the tone for the rest of the match. We were on top in all sectors of the pitch with Pierce running the show in midfield and Shane at the back in complete command. Sean Og was rarely troubled in the first half, but when called upon he was quick off his line to snuff out the danger!

Gearoid and Brian were well on top at the back with Brian having a great game in his new right back position. Charlie and Oisin were their industrious selves getting through a mountain of work and Aoibhe brought strength and power up front when introduced.

We reached half time 1-0 to the good despite being well on top and missing a number of chances, but we were well pleased to be in front.

We started the second half on top again but the elusive second goal wasn’t coming. We were passing the ball around and playing good football but their keeper was in excellent form keeping out a number of shots, especially from Liam Og. We forced a number of corners but couldn’t get the second goal.

Eventually after a good cross to Patrick in the box he was upended by the defender and the referee pointed to the spot. The top scorer in the league dusted himself down after the hefty challenge, composed himself and drilled the penalty to the bottom of the net. A deserved second goal for the dominant performance from the Tigers.

The Tigers continued their dominance for the remainder of the match and held out for the 2-0 win.

A great win by the Tigers over one of the stronger teams in the league. They dominated from start to finish securing the 3 points and another game completed in their request for honours. 2 more league games left in the season and all players need to be fully committed and attend training each Thursday night.

Team and scorers: Sean Og Kenneally, Brian Dunne, Shane Coughlan, Gearoid Carey, Charlie O’Meara, Pierce O’Riordan, Liam Og Hegarty, Oisin Hogan, Patrick Kenny (2), Aoibhe Carey.


Last Saturday saw us travel to Cappoquin for the first leg of the league cup. With most of the possession we hit the post and had a good shout for a penalty in the first half and the post came to Cappoquin rescue again in the second half.

So no joy in the first leg and everything to play for the next day. We just had the bare 11 on the day and everyone put in a great effort with some very good performances from the U13 players. A text messages will be sent out with details of the second leg.


Pinewood 3 Kilworth Celtic 2

This was a game we could not afford to lose and from the kick-off it was end to end, box to box. With two of the best defences in the league facing up against some of the best strikers it wasn’t going to disappoint.

Looking back a few days later it was probably one of the best games I’ve seen in a few years with two teams going for the win. Kilworth had some great chances cleared off the line in the opening twenty minutes and then suffered a blow around the half hour mark when we conceded from a free kick that was headed in at the back post, 1-0.

The game ebbed and flowed with no team giving an inch the tackles were flying in and both sides saw a few yellow cards. Nearing the 40th minute a Kilworth corner was headed home at the far post by captain Justin Ahern, to leave the game 1-1 at the break.

The second half started again at a hundred miles an hour and it was more of the same with both teams trying to get the advantage and it was Pinewood who took it – while we had a player getting treatment on the line they scored their second, 2-1.

Kilworth heads didn’t drop and they tried hard to level the game but Pinewood worked hard to keep their one goal advantage and when they had the ball, broke fast with two fast wingers always looking to take on the Kilworth defence. Pinewood were the team that was to get on the score sheet again when a shot from outside the box spilled into the path of a Pinewood player, 3-1.

With less than ten minutes remaining Kilworth went 3 at the back and we pulled a goal back straight away with Paudie getting on the end of a knock-on to make it 3-2. For the last seven minutes we pushed hard for an equaliser and Pinewood put every body-part they had in the way and with some last ditch tackles and a brilliant save in the last few minutes from their keeper from a Justin Aherne volley, they held out to win 3-2.

Bitterly disappointing for all the players and the crowd on the line, tough game to lose and a draw I think would have been a fair result. So it’s looking like we will drop from top over the coming weeks with Brideview in second with games in hand, but we will be waiting if they slip up to get back in to the race. Well done to the lads on Sunday, they played till the final whistle.


Draw results from 24/1. Jackpot €850. Nos drawn 4, 11, 16, 18. No winner. Lucky dips – Sam Walsh, Ella Byrne, Taija Howard, Frank-Tina-Shirley.

Next week’s jackpot will be €950, draw to be held in The Village Inn.


Home games: U11 Lions v Mogeely FC – Kick-off 1.30pm. U13s v Ballybridge – Kick-off 3pm. Away games: U11 Tigers away v Lismore – Kick-off 1.30pm.

These games may have a change of venue as the Kilworth pitch is still unplayable.


The club would like to offer its sympathy’s to the Fenton family on their recent loss.