By John Arnold
Two weeks ago, the Kildinan Athletics Memorial Committee unveiled a memorial at The Pound to remember and celebrate the deeds of the athletes and officers of the Kildinan Athletic Club.
The club was formed in 1938 and between then and 1952, won multiple Cork and Munster titles, mainly at cross country running. The highlight was in 1943 when a team led by George Gubbins won the All-Ireland Junior title. George’s son, Maurice came from his home in England to unveil the monument.
The story of athletics in Kildinan didn’t start in 1938, but back in the late 1800s. Back then the Phibbs brothers – Con and Bill – were athletes of international fame. Though born in North Cork, Con and Bill came to Bridestown, Kildinan in the 1870s when their father Tom acquired a 45 acre farm there.
The brothers were outstanding athletes competing at cross country, the half-mile, steeplechase, pole vault, high jump and the mile. They both won national titles in different disciplines.
Full story in this week’s Print & Digital Edition