A Glenville man had to undergo surgery at a Cork hospital, ‘following a vicious assault by two armed men in the early hours of the morning at his farm in Graigue’. The farmer, in his mid 60s, had reportedly ‘lost part of his thumb as a result of the attack which involved a slash hook’. Injuries from the attack in June 1997 included a number of gashes to the farmer’s left hand as well as being ‘badly beaten about the back’. Gardai from both Fermoy and Cobh, who were called to the scene, were following a definite line of enquiry, as the two culprits involved were known to them.

A random tele-poll of 300 people undertaken by The Avondhu, one week before the people of Cork East went to the polls in the general election of 1997, showed two candidates well ahead. The poll, taken ‘to show the score with regard to first preferences’, had Ned O’Keeffe (FF) at 27.93%, closely followed by Paul Bradford (FG), just 2.29% behind on 25.64% – both looked to be on course for a comfortable return to Dail Eireann. The tele-poll placed Michael Ahern (FF) in third on 16.28%, with a ‘battle royal’ likely to be decided on transfers for the fourth seat – if the poll outcome was anyway indicative – between sitting Labour TD, John Mulvihill (6.97%), Senator Joe Sherlock (Democratic Left, 5.42%) and first time Fine Gael contender, David Stanton (7.75%).

President Mary Robinson received a warm welcome on her arrival in Rathcormac in June 1997, where she dedicated the main meeting room in the newly refurbished community centre, to the memory of the late Jimmy Maye. Afforded a guard of honour by the local national school pupils and led to the community hall by the Thomas Kent Pipe Band, the president endeared herself to one and all. Frank Buckley, chairman of the community council, presented her with a glass vase, designed by local craftsman David Caisley, to mark the occasion.

One of the biggest forest fires in years affected ‘upwards of 300 acres of forestry’ in the Ballyporeen area in June 1997. So extensive was the fire, that smoke could be seen up to 30 miles away. There was strong criticism from a number of people ‘at the manner in which members of the public were allowed drive through forest roads’, attracted to the area due to ‘the intensity of the fire and the amount of excitement generated by the fire tenders as they raced to the scene’. One man declared, ‘it was a wonder it didn’t result in a major catastrophe’. One ‘knowledgeable commentator’ told The Avondhu that the blaze had set the area back by forty years in ecological terms. There was high praise for the fire tenders from Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Cahir, Clonmel and Cashel who fought the blaze over a 36 hour period.

‘Given the perilous state of (Fermoy) UDC’s finances’, outside help was to be sought to carry out essential repairs to the river bank at Barnane Walk in the town. Serious erosion to parts of the river bank were identified, in particular the stretch ‘from Fermoy Rowing Club to the well and also in the vicinity of the stile’, with urgent works to fortify the bank necessary. The funds which the council hoped to access, were ‘of European Union origin’, and likely to be in the region of £100,000.

The indiscriminate dumping of dead calves in the river near Ballinaparka, Kilworth was strongly condemned in June 1997, with a number of animals in an advanced state of decay discovered.

Nellie (Piggott) Fitzgerald was crowned Queen of the Galtees in Mitchelstown in June 1997. Sponsored by The Piper’s Inn, the ‘glamorous granny’ topped the voting ahead of Catherine Clifford, who was sponsored by Studio 39. Outgoing Queen was Ann McGrath.

At a sundrenched Lisgoold, the junior B footballers from Castlelyons ‘stepped out of the championship race’ in 1997 after a great tussle with Glenville. Two very committed teams played a standard of football ‘well up to junior A level’, with Glenville edging ahead at the interval following a fast paced opening half. However, a few missed scoring chances from Castlelyons early in the second period were to prove decisive, with Glenville running out winners on a scoreline of 2-10 to 1-8.

Meanwhile, Mitchelstown junior A footballers advanced to the semi-finals of the North Cork championship, following a ‘tough, gritty performance’ against Mallow in Castletownroche, final score 1-10 to 2-5.