The restructuring of Mitchelstown’s New Square was reaching completion much to the distress of the stall holders who operate their businesses from there every Thursday. While a lot of people felt the Square’s face-lift would improve the town, there were those who were strongly opposed to it, saying that it would be the ruin of the town. The vast majority of stall owners in the Square were of the opinion that the construction was a huge mistake for the town and a disaster for them. They argued that the lack of parking spaces was having a devastating effect on their livelihood, and ruining what some considered the best thing in the town.

A sheep attacked by dogs in the Fennell’s Bay area of Crosshaven was recovering from her injuries under the care of Nuala McNamara in Fermoy. The sheep was formerly owned by a German woman living in Crosshaven. Lily, as the sheep was known, was born in Wicklow, transported on a bus by a German backpacker and was resident in a city centre hostel for a while before settling in Crosshaven. With little prospect that the sheep would avoid further attack, it was decided to move her to Fermoy and despite operating on three legs, the local vet was confident that she would make a full recovery.

A Community Improvement Scheme, set up to repair roads in the Glenduff area of Mitchelstown, left some residents unhappy at the way it was carried out. Claims were made that sections of the road which were supposed to be repaired were left undone. However, David O’Keeffe, Area Engineer for Mitchelstown said that everything that was promised was done.

The formal announcement by the Department of Defence that Fitzgerald Camp Fermoy was for sale by public tender, reawakened the many rumours and speculative comments as to the future of the 20 acre site. Since the camp was closed by the Minister of Defence, Michael Smith TD, when he made known his intentions that all such lands would be sold off, rumour had been rife as to who may be the prospective buyer. People wondered if in the next few years they’d see the ‘Aerodrome’ transformed into a major shopping centre or would it perhaps be the site for some of the most expensive and upmarket homes in Fermoy. Others were pushing for the prime site to be held for industrial use, while there were those who were looking for an affordable home who said the County Council should buy it for local authority housing.

Fermoy Soccer Club ended 1998 on a winning note defeating Killarney Celtic 4-2. Fermoy were on top all the way through the game and could have scored more than the four registered. However, their early pressure failed to yield a goal, the closest they came was when Graham Lonergan struck the bar with a fine effort. They did eventually make the breakthrough midway through the half when a cross by Elton Pierce was headed home by Gavin Howard. The same pair combined again 10 minutes later, this time Howard set up Pierce who hit a screamer to the roof of the net. Sloppy Fermoy defending allowed Killarney to pull one back but their two goal cushion was restored before half time when Pierce beat the offside trap to score his second. Not to be outdone by his strike partner Howard made it 4-1 in the second half and although Killarney scored late on, Fermoy were comfortable and ran out worthy winners.

Brideview Utd came from a goal behind to beat Cappoquin 3-1 to go top of the Red House League. It was a marvellous second half display but had it not been for the first half heroics of goalkeeper Billy Sheehan, visitors Cappoquin could have been out of sight. Instead they held just a one-goal lead and when Paul Curley equalised within two minutes of the restart the momentum of the game completely changed in Brideview’s favour and they took full advantage. Further goals from Dermot Hanley and Eoin Murphy ensured a dominant second-half performance was rewarded with maximum points and with Valley Rovers not playing, Brideview held top spot all to themselves for the Christmas break.