September 1st – September 7th, 1916

An inquest was held at Mitchelstown on the body of a child named Lilly Lyons aged five years, daughter of Mr Richard Lyons, New Cottages, Mitchelstown, who died from the results of a poison accidentally administered. From the evidence it appeared that Mrs Ryan (grandmother) had administered what she believed to be a worm powder. Dr T. O’Brien confirmed poisoning as the cause of death. The jury found that the child died from the effects of poison accidentally administered and expressed sympathy with the relatives.

In what was a major achievement, the prestigious Carlisle and Blake Premium Award for the year 1916 was awarded to the Castletownroche Girls’ School. This prize was awarded by the Commissioners of National Education, in recognition of how teachers had excelled in the management of their schools.

Tallow Horse Fair was held and proved a great success. There was a very large attendance of buyers, demand was brisk and prices high. Transactions were numerous and remunerative prices were realised for animals of good quality. Very Rev. Wm. Canon Meagher, P.P., as usual was foremost in the organisation of the fair with Mr P.J. Hogan being entrusted all the secretarial work.

A special court was held in Clogheen, at which Daniel and Maggie Driscoll were charged on remand with the larceny of £19 from J. Allen, Galbally, a farmer and pig dealer. Allen said he had gone to Clogheen on August 21st to purchase some slips. On the way home, on the road towards Ballyporeen, he saw a woman with a ten year old child. The boy got up on the creel behind and the woman got up on the front. A man also appeared. The woman asked Allen for money and he refused. She then reached in his pocket which contained £19 in a purse and threw it to the man. Then the three ran away. When he reported it to the RIC in Clogheen, he realised that his watch was also missing. Sergeant Hayes said he got the prisoners identified by Allen on August 22nd. Maggie Driscoll also made a voluntary statement. It transpired that Mr Allen hadn’t been her first or last victim. The prisoners were returned for trial to Clonmel Quarter Sessions to be held on October 18th and the boy was sent to Greenmount Industrial School until that date.

At Midleton Sessions, Constable Coleman summoned Edmond Barry, carpenter, Knockraha for having been drunk at Midleton. The constable said the defendant had been robbed of his purse and 10s 6d at the Midleton Fair by two tramps, who had since been jailed. The money had been found and returned to Barry, however the bench decided to fine him 1s 0d and costs.

Private Michael Hayes, 8th Munsters, son of Mr William Hayes, Thomas Street, Mitchelstown returned home to visit his parents and recuperate. He had been recently wounded at the Western Front and was just out of hospital.