Phone chargers are the biggest cause of fires, according to one of The Avondhu region’s most senior fire fighters. 

Eric Dahill of Fermoy Fire Brigade was speaking as National Fire Safety Week swung into action and the region’s fire fighters are putting the focus on safety at home.

Eric said that the one of the most basic and everyday items these days, plugged in phone chargers, is one of the main causes of house, and particularly, bedroom fires.

“Leaving phone chargers, or device chargers plugged in overnight is of the biggest causes of fires right now – people need to unplug at night and when leaving the house,” he warned. 

Full story in this week’s Print & Digital Edition